Re: console redirect issue

nathan r. hruby nhruby@uga.edu
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Keith Patton wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>    I have a dell 1750. If I don't do console redirect from the bios all works ok. If I
> enable console redirect to the serial port, all comes up, but once up I can't use the
> console as a terminal. I must restart conserver deamon process then I'm ok..  Is there an
> option or something I'm missing?

What OS is the host running?
  If linux, what boot loader?
    If Grub, disable the "redirection after post" option in BIOS as grub
      tries to grab the serial port which it can't do cause the BIOS has
      it.
    Else, make sure that your serial line in /etc/grub.conf does not have
      --console in it, else if you tap the keyboard during the bootloader
      or boot stages that's where the console will end up (on the
      keyboard/VGA device, instead of the serial console where you want
      it).

HTH,

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free