RE: break sequence during Sun host boot up stage

Jim Corrigan corrigan@KiNETWORKS.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

You can also set the break sequence for each port and leave the

all.break_sequence ~break

by:
modifying /etc/portslave/pslave.conf to add a sequence for each port via a
line, such as:

s9.break_sequence ~HARDW

What we ultimately did because we have a multi-vendor environment and wanted
to greatly simplify terminal server and hosts with serial interface cards:
we wrote a linux daemon, windows service and UNIX daemon ( AIX, HPUX,
Solaris and TRU64 ) called emser.

We wanted to eliminate having to know all the different nuances of each
terminal server and or host based serial interface card; we created a binary
called emser that resides on the cyclades, logical solutions, lantronix,
WINDOWS and UNIX hosts with serial interface cards; emser functions include:

1. a server makes a single connection to emser on the terminal server,
windows PC, host w/ serial cards and the console manager can connect to any
of the /dev/tty* over this single SSL network connection; no more individual
sshd connections to each /dev/'tty*; one console manager would have a single
network connection to emser rather that 48 connections to each of the
terminal servers 48 ports if the server was a 48 port terminal server; one
customer maintains a single connection to a host that has 4 x 128
connections.

2. emser maintains the connections to each port device while handling the
one connection from the network by the server; you don't have to worry about
what is in the pslave.conf  or lci.conf; and the buffering is disabled such
as cyclades /bin/cy_buffering as all traffic is sent back to host acting as
console manager;

3. if one server is acting as a console manager it makes a single connection
to each emser enabled terminal server, Windows system or host with serial
cards; If you are using a ts3000 cyclades you would requires48 connections
when using sshd; if you are using older lantronix such as SCS4805 you are
using 96 connections: 48 for sshd and 48 for direct, the newer SLC servers
supposedly only use 48 sshd; the savings in connections is significant
though one for emser versus 48 or over for sshd based tservers.

4. emser returns the UART signals' status; this status let's you know the
state of each signal; if someone pulled the cable or the system connected
has had its power turned off you will usually see certain signals go low;

5. emser returns the list of systems that are connected to each port;

6. you can also control what port is available to what servers if you wish
to restrict access as well

7. connections from console manager servers are lighting fast; you don't
have to put in delays when connecting to a 48 port terminal server via sshd
connections;

Best Yet:

All cyclades, lantronix and logical solution terminal servers use the same
emser interface; you are made vendor independent and don't need their
configuration programs or do you have to have two steps to create a console
management port: you don't have to configure the port on the server and then
configure the console manager to connect to a specific terminal server port;
and you are no longer constrained to have one server per one port;

More than one console manager can make a connection to the same port on the
same terminal server, because the emser maintains the client connections
coming from the network via a single SSL network connection and the
/dev/port connections on terminal server device/port side; NO MORE port
conflicts; this feature makes it very easy to set up redundant access since
all ports can be shared by multiple console manager systems.

Once emser is deployed once, it requests updates from the console manager
server: no fuss, no muss

Jim