Re: conserver freezes when console presents binary data?

nathan r. hruby nhruby@uga.edu
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:59:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bryan Stansell wrote:

> my big question is, why was it trying to close the connection to the
> serial port?  where there any conserver messages logged that might
> explain it?  or errors?  or anything?

Nope, granted I'm not running conserver with -D :)

> i doubt the high-bit stripping will help.  if it does, i'd love to know.

I can try that.

> can you make this happen at will?

It's happened several times, but never to me.  I'm going to try to
generate a reporducable test case this week to work with.

> if so, i'd suggest copying the

[snip debug procudure]
I'll give that a shot once I have a test case.

> and, of course, there was the off-mailing list suggestion that perhaps
> it's a software flow-control issue.  dunno if you've checked into that
> yet, but maybe there's some way of that influencing the close().  but
> again, why is it trying to close the device?

I'll look into it.

> as a final "aside", i've talked to another person about issues with the
> cyclades Y cards and problems with conserver.  afaik, he's still having
> problems - weird things where some ports work, others don't.  maybe
> these are tied together somehow.  we never got anywhere with his
> problems.  it makes me think there's some low-level serial stuff that
> the cyclades drivers have issues with...or something.

This is teh cyclades Z board, but the drivers are funky,

> ok...i'm done with my long rambling.  maybe, hopefully, something in
> here will be of help.  if you can trigger the problem, i'd love to see
> the conserver log (with the -DDD).

Thanks!  I'll give that all a shot and report back!

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free