Re: conserver log entry

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:19:17 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 12:37:57PM -0500, William P LePera wrote:
> Using conserver on AIX, v 7.2.4, one of our people noticed a huge
> conserver log file in /var/log.  Most of the entries are:
>
> conserver (18370): select: Bad file number
>
> She is not having a problem opening or using any of the consoles, but is
> concerned about the message.  Is there a condition here I should be worried
> about?

well, aside from a huge logfile, i suppose not.  it *is* a sign of a
bug, however.  conserver must not be properly removing a file descriptor
from it's list of open files (it might not have dropped a bad console
structure or client structure or something else, even).  it's hard to
say for sure.

restarting conserver should "fix" it...in that it'll all start over and
hopefully the bit of code that triggered the problem won't occur again
(very soon, anyway).

but the real key is to try and get to 7.2.7 (if possible).  i can't
promise that the code that's at fault has been fixed in 7.2.7, but the
chances are pretty good.  i haven't heard of any major issues with
7.2.7...unless most folks have made the jump to 8.x.x and there's a lack
of use of
7.2.7.

Bryan