Re: Feature request

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 02:12:52PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> John> Brian,
>
> Doh!  My apologies Bryan!

no problem.  ;-)

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 12:03:31PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> Thanks for conserver, it's a great tool!  I'd like to make a feature
> request, or maybe a change in how the scroll back commands work.
> Basically, I can scroll back either 20 or 60 lines, and that's it.
> I'd love to be able to scroll back as many lines are in the log file,
> in increments of 20 or 60 lines.

so, do you have an visions of what a user would have to type to get
this?  something like '^EcR4^M' where ^EcR lets you then enter the
number multiple (so 4 followed by a return).  then it would display 80
lines?  or, would it be ok to allow the user to set the number of lines
the replay function uses?  something like '^Ec=r48^M', meaning ^Ec=
starts the setting of a function, 'r' selects the replay function, and
'48^M' is 48 followed by a return?

> Since I use 80x48 xterms, the number of scroll back lines works better
> with 46 lines for me, rather than 60.

would this play into the above?

i love the idea.  it would be fairly easy to make the number of lines of
replay be a variable, and settable by the user.  the playback of a huge
number of lines might be a bit more dangerous.  i haven't looked at the
code used by the replay function very closely (it's current version was
contributed by a user), but it might have to change to support lots
lines - i know it does a lot of memory allocations, and might even store
it all in memory before writing it out, but that might not be 100%
accurate.

you mind if i ask why you'd like to replay so many lines?  i can see
where you might need more than 60...i've need that before, but i just go
look at the logfile directly in those cases.  but, would you really need
more than, say, 2 or 3 hundred?  just curious about the usage.

Bryan