Strange behavior on a Sun Blade after conserver reboot

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Thu, 22 May 2003 10:16:05 -0700 (PDT)

I had to reboot our console server running conserver 7.2.4 yesterday.  The
machine is a Sun Blade 100 using an Aurora Aries 16-port serial controller.
Attached to this machine are a number of Sun Solaris boxes.

However, after the reboot, I noticed something strange.  While most of the
machines connected to the console server seemed to have no problems with
the reboot of the machine their consoles were connected to, I discovered that
the sole Sun Blade 100 connected to the console server was at the ok prompt.
Once I typed "go" it went back into operation.  It had been working with
no problems prior to the reboot.  My guess is that the reboot somehow was
interpreted as a halt on the serial line.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, know what can be done to avoid this
in the future?  Will simply unplugging the machine in question from the Aries
card work?  As a note, our Aries breakout box uses the ethernet style plugs;
we had some of the ethernet to 25 pin serial adapters made for console use.
Since the Sun Blade does not have a 25 pin serial port, we had to use a
25 to 9 pin adapter to connect it to our console server.  I don't know if
that would have anything to do with this problem.

Brian Sebby

--
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Distributed Computing Administration
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Computing and Instrumentation Solutions