RE: Log Monitor Recommendations Requested

Ernie Oporto ernie.oporto@viragelogic.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 14:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

I understand that Swatch http://swatch.sourceforge.net has a patch that
allows it to watch multiple files and can fire off mails for various
triggers.

http://ucsb.edu/pipermail/swatch-users/2002-August/000302.html

--
Ernest A. Oporto, Senior Systems Administrator
Virage Logic Corporation
http://www.viragelogic.com
Perryville Corporate Park, Bldg 3, Clinton, NJ 08809
Phone:(908)735-1932   Fax:(908)735-1999
mailto:Ernie.Oporto@viragelogic.com

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@conserver.com [mailto:users-bounces@conserver.com] On
Behalf Of Scott Armstrong
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 9:22 PM
To: users@conserver.com
Subject: Log Monitor Recommendations Requested

Hi all,

Sorry if this question isn't appropriate for this list, but I thought
someone here might have some input on my situation.

I'm looking for a Linux application that can watch multiple Conserver logs
and start processes when detecting certain events.  There are multiple
applications available that will send emails based on log events, but I
seem
to be having difficulty finding one that will fire off
shell/perl/python/expect scripts.

My situation is this, I need to fill-up a dozen racks with 16 or so units
each.  When a unit is powered on, I need to automatically open a console
connection to it, configure it to boot from NFS, run a series of tests,
install an O/S and shut it down.  The only interface into these units is
through a serial console port.  My thought is to use a log monitor program
to watch the conserver logs for the unit boot notifications and then use a
script to open the conserver client and interact with the unit.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate a log watch tool that can watch
multiple logs and then trigger a (non-email related) process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott