Re: Solarus 8/9 Sparc Questions

Greg A. Woods woods@weird.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:18:34 -0800 (PST)

[ On Tuesday, March 4, 2003 at 09:12:44 (-0500), Mike Daigle wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Solarus 8/9 Sparc Questions
>
> The only solution which I have found that gives satisfactory
> results is the Nudata(TM) Non Aborting Serial Port Adaptor.  This
> is a little black box that cost about $90. It has smarts onboard
> and allows the BREAKs to be sent from a terminal or terminal
> server port. But it monitors the DTR line, if it drops then the
> box blocks all input, thus if a terminal server sends breaks at
> power down they are blocked when DTR drops first. There is a
> timing issue here but it seems to work, I suspect they have a
> transmission delay built in to catch the fault before the BREAK is
> sent but I don't know this for sure.
>
> The beauty of it is that we can still use BREAK to halt the system
> if we want. If the terminal server looses power all our Sun's
> DON'T halt. It would also cover off any problems of the line being
> cut and looking like a break as long as DTR is cut at the same
> time.
>
> The only down side is the price tag.

Indeed.

Time to (again?) post the link to circuit diagram of what I believe is
an equivalent device.

The diagram was originally posted in sun-spots v5n45 by Malcolm Harper,
back before the WWW and most copies are in compressed archives and thus
not indexed by the likes of Google.  A copy can now be found at this
location:

	http://sunsite.kth.se/sun/sun-spots/v5n45.Z

The relevant post has been re-copied to at least these locations
subsequently:

	http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/sun-info/sunspots/v9n20
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2002/05/16/0000.html

--