Problem with changing file permissions on Conserver machine,affecting Conserver

Greg Brown gregb_ka6max@hotmail.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:44:55 -0800 (PST)

Our unix machines are being auditted, and all files with permissions of
"other" group write are considered BAD.

We have been given a script to prepare our machines for the audit and
eliminate all "other writable" files (it runs chmod o-w to all files
identified by the audit script).  I applied it to the machine running
Conserver 7.2.7, and there seemed to be a problem with a user who was
already logged on to a console while the script was running.  She could not
get the <ctrl>E. escape sequence to be recognized by the console program
until after I restored the o+w file permissions.

I wonder if Conserver needs to have the ability to write o+w files for
locking purposes, etc?

Conserver is awesome.  7.2.7 works very well.  I will be moving to 8.x.x as
soon as I upgrade the machine.

Thanks,

Greg Brown
Computer Sciences Corporation