feedback from new user

Erik Sjölund erik.sjolund@sbc.su.se
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:17:05 -0800 (PST)

I just started using your software. Thanks a lot for this nice piece
of software!

Here is some feedback:

* In the man page conserver.passwd you could be a bit more verbose about
the necessity to either add a file /etc/pam.d/conserver or change
the file /etc/pam.conf to get pam working in conserver. It is not
sufficient to just add a line "root:*passwd*" in conserver.passwd.

* Not having thought about it that much; this might enhance security:
Maybe it would good to do some permission checking of the file
/etc/conserver.passwd like ssh checks ownership of ~/.ssh
For instance maybe the owner of /etc/conserver.passwd and
uid of the running conserver-process should match. And further
the permission should not be more liberal than 600 or something
like that. That might enhance security because /etc/conserver.passwd
sometimes contains encrypted passwords.

* The --with-master compile time option. It would be nice to also be
able to specify that in a configuration file.
( I know you can change it on the command line )

cheers,
Erik Sjölund