Re: terminal types

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:38:17 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:48:34AM -0500, Michael Galloway wrote:
> ok, i'm working thru debugging some hardware problems on some of my
> servers and i'm trying to get bios and memtest output from some
> linux servers into the logfiles or to the console screen via
> conserver. i run serial ports to a cyclades terminal server, they to
> a linux box running conserver v8.0.6. i seem to have a termtype
> issuse that i cannot get resolved. anyone solved this problem
> already?

The normal problem I have with Linux terminal type is the xterm
terminal tends not to unbold or un-underline correctly.  Setting the
terminal type to vt100 solves this problem.

Our Dell boxes' BIOS don't have perfect vt100 emulation - no terminal
has ever worked perfectly with them.  We just live with it - we know
the boot sequence and any real problem can be solved with a monitor
and a keyboard.  The BIOS also has two settings, vt100 and ANSI.  You
want vt100.

If I didn't guess correctly, could you describe the problem you are
having.
   __o		Bradley Arlt			Security Team Lead
 _ \<_		arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca		University Of Calgary
(_)/(_) 	Joyously Canadian	 	Computer Science