Re: Console lock-up

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:42:41 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:51:12AM +1000, Penny Sullivan wrote:
> server. Messages are still received by terminal on ttya.
>
> Problem:
> Conserver seems to disable getty when run and no input can be given on a
> console connected to ttya when conserver is running.

what kind of setup do you have?  it sounds like you've probably got
things wired up incorrectly.  conserver needs to interact with serial
ports that aren't being used to log into systems.  what i mean by that
is, no getty or any other process, for that matter, should be talking to
the serial port - only conserver should.  so, in a simple case of two
machines watching eachother, you'd have:

    machine1   machine2
     ttya <----> ttyb
     ttyb <----> ttya

that way, a getty running on ttya of both machines can interact with
whatever process opens ttyb on the opposite machine.  in this case,
conserver would be running on one or both of the machines, attached to
ttyb only.

with the "heart" of a conserver.cf file similar to:

    default * { type device; baud 9600; parity none; }
    console machine1 { master machine2; device /dev/ttyb; }
    console machine2 { master machine1; device /dev/ttyb; }

you can put it on both machines and run conserver and then use 'console
machine1' or 'console machine2' to get at the consoles of machine1 and
machine2.

make sense?  i hope so.  if i'm totally off-base here, let me know, but
if you've got getty and conserver going on the same port, you've got
trouble (as you've seen).

Bryan