Re: Timeout connecting to server

Aaron Burt aaron@osdl.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Steve Lammert wrote:

> So, I solved my immediate problem by using "lsof" (Sol8 binary obtained
> via freshmeat.net) to obtain the pid of the conserver daemon which was
> not responding.  Killing the pid, then sending the "reconnect" signal to
> Conserver, and I'm back in business.
>
> ... but I'd still like to know why this happens ...

I've seen similar behavior when a terminal server port is refusing
connections or some such.  The daemon that handles the port sleeps and
retries, but while it's sleeping, all its consoles are unresponsive.

There isn't an easy, permanent fix for the problem, unless one could fork
off a misbehaving console into its own daemon, perhaps using some of the
tricks developed for dynamic reconfig.