Dynamic Reconfiguration

William P LePera lepera@us.ibm.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 15:03:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello.

I am seeing a strange behavior with dynamic reconfiguration, and am curious
if anyone else has seen it or knows a way around it.

conserver is compiled with the default of 16 consoles per process.  If I
start conserver when configured for 8 consoles, I'll end up with two
conserver processes, one master process and another for the consoles, which
I expect.

If I change the config to add another console, then send SIGHUP to the
master process, another conserver process is spawned, for a total of three.
I would have expected the new console to be added to the existing child
process, but that does not appear to be the case.  At this point, if
conserver is brought down and back up again, I get two process, and the
child process has all 9 consoles on it.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?  If I add consoles in batches and
send SIGHUP after each batch, will I always get a new conserver process for
each SIGHUP?  Is there a way around this which doesn't involve killing
conserver and restarting it?

Thanks,

Bill LePera
IBM Server Group