Re: How many consoles?

David K. Z. Harris zonker@jeffk.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:53:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 02:15:51PM +0200, Anders Nordby wrote:
> I wonder how many consoles people have managed to get working with a
> single conserver server. I've got 46 working fine now (using direct
> connections from conserver, no piped telnet). My server is an Ultra1
> running Solaris 8 in 64-bit mode. It's important for me that I can scale
> quite a lot further, I may reach up to 1-200 consoles or so..

  Only 46!?!  ;-)

  At one site I'm working on, the conserver.cf file is nearly 2500
line, for a 3-server, distributed mode installation, controlling
more than 2000 console ports, across 25 terminal servers, and one
conserver host has close to 70 child processes under the main process.

  (Just remember the math in your configuration file (cons.h) before
you do the build...we're using maxgrp=96, but just make sure that
you can spawn enough processes to cover all of the ports that you
want to connect to, and make sure your host has enough RAM for
all of the processes.)

    -Z-