Re: Q: May conserver log to syslog?

cfowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 20:03:26 -0800 (PST)

I hacked something similar into my version.  Plus the buffers are
available via SSL and a web browser connection. 2nd there is no easy way
to destroy our log files.  Yet another addition.  We store our data in
Kernel memory.  Not files in /var/log or anywhere else.  This also
required modifications to  Replay().

The answer is that with enough time you can easily add this feature.
I'm not sure I agree that Syslog is a good spot.  It could get busy in
that file if you get a lot of output.  But I would suggest that you use
a line read method and place the console output in there by line.

Now when it comes to general conserver messages, I log them to syslog.
I have a mechanism that any daemon output on STDOUT or STDERR magically
finds it's way into SYSLOG.  This is with no modifications to any of the
code itself.  We had to add this for other daemons as well.