Re: different console names

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 17:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

Well, suggestion #1 is to use the same conserver.cf file on both
hosts.  Just make sure you use the @rfcuapp1 or @rfcudev1 syntax like
you have below for all consoles - that way things get redirected
approprately.  So, just have:

    <snip>
    portserver:/dev/ttyb@rfcudev1:9600p:&:
    rfcuapp1:!rfcuapp1@rfcudev1:9600p:&:
    rfcudev1:!rfcudev1@rfcuapp1:9600p:&:
    <snip>

or

    <snip>
    rfc-portserver:/dev/ttyb@rfcudev1:9600p:&:
    rfcuapp1:!rfcuapp1@rfcudev1:9600p:&:
    rfcudev1:!rfcudev1@rfcuapp1:9600p:&:
    <snip>

Then, things should "just work".  The reason why it isn't working like
you expect is that the client is talking to rfcudev1 as the default
console server ('console -V' should show that - the error message shows
the master host).  If you do a 'console -M halibut rfc-portserver' then
it should work, or better yet, have one of the versions of the above
.cf file and share it with all console servers.  That way it doesn't
matter which master you talk to - if it doesn't manage the console it
will hand you off to the appropriate one.

In general, running multiple servers with different conserver.cf files
can be done (and should be for certain situations involving firewalls
and such).  The trick is to make sure the client talks to the right
master first.  If you can, though, have them all share a common
conserver.cf file (easier to maintain too) and push a copy to all
servers.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.  If anyone has questions,
just yell.

Bryan