Re: checking passwords

Iain Rae iainr@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 2 May 2001 10:02:44 -0700 (PDT)

> I notice that client/server connects are done in the clear
> leaving passwords and commands in the clear. Is anybody currently
> working on integrating SSL or other encryption into the mix?
> 	Doug

I'm tentatively looking at this (well, I've printed out some of the ssl docs
and started reading up on ssl/tls) but I wouldn't exactly hold your breath :)
).
Given that we (informatics) will be moving to a kerberos based system in the
medium term pamifying console/conserver is on my list of things to do if
no-one else does first.

At the moment we are using a perl script to run ssh to the conserver pc and
then run console on the loopback interface, but this get's information about
which consoles are connected to which server via a metadatabase which is used
to build the conserver.cf and conserver.passwd files so it's probably only a
solution for us.

If people want to see my horrible perl then I'll post it but it's basically

search NIS maps to work out what to connect to

 system("/usr/bin/ssh","-t","$console_server","/usr/bin/console -M localhost
$args")