Re: checking passwords

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 09:34:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hmmm...I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but you should be able to
have the password be "*passwd*" instead of the hash and it will look up the
password using library calls just like other apps...so, you just need to have

user1:*passwd*:any
user2:*passwd*:any
user3:*passwd*:any

and so on (user1 through user3 should be replaced with real names...other
things are literal).  I *think* that will fix the problem - or at least get
around it.  Sounds like there's probably something else going on as well.

And, yes, if you put in a username and a has in the conserver.passwd file it
will only use that and not check the real password file for being a valid
user...that way you can set up a conserver host with a few admin accounts and a
slew of conserver accounts so non-admins can access consoles.

Anyway, if that helps at all, cool.  If not, can you send some more info, like
the exact setup of all things (linux, conserver, the conserver config files,
etc)?  A lot of info, I know, but I'm not sure what, exactly, the problem is -
maybe I'm just being dense.

Bryan