Linux Heisenbug

Stephen.Schaefer Stephen.Schaefer@emis-intl.com
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:06:14 -0800 (PST)

Conserver 6.1.7
RedHat Linux 6.2
Connecting to consoles via Cyclades Cyclom 8YoP card

I'm trying to set up conserver.  When I run

/usr/local/bin/conserver -d

from the command line, it works.  When my startup script runs it as

daemon strace -f -o /var/tmp/consrv /usr/local/bin/conserver -d

it works.  But when I run it as

daemon /usr/local/bin/conserver -d

it starts, the console client prompts me for a password, then as soon as
I hit return, declares

Enter sps's password:
console: lost connection

and at that point the daemon is dead.  I can't find a core file or any
diagnostic messages from the failed daemon anywhere, even after removing
the ``ulimit -c 0'' from the daemon function (defined in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions). Since the failure happens in the vicinity
of the authentication process, I'll mention that the Linux box is an NIS
client.  Any suggestions?

	- Stephen P. Schaefer
	Stephen.Schaefer@emis-intl.com