Why Does conserverd grap a tty for each connection?

Matott, Scott Scott.Matott@htc.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:09:50 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy,

I am using conserver in this way:

Server is an Ultra5 running Solaris 2.6

conserver is latest rev, well last 6.blah rev

I have an Annex Terminal server which servers a telnet port for each of it's 64 serial connections.  It actually listens on port 23 of a different IP per port, kinda wasteful, but...

Connecting to the telnet port will give you serial console on the machine plugged into the corresponding serial port on the Annex.

Ok.

conserver's built in 'network connection' setting wouldn't work, not sure why, but no problem, instead I used to the | option to execute an arbitray command, in this case telnet, so my conserver.cf lines look like this:

conanx2-port61:| /usr/bin/telnet conanx2-port61::conanx2-port61.log:

Works great.

Well now I need to open 832 of these...

For each connection I get a message like this:
conserver: 16072 is the pid on /dev/ttyp0

So each connection is getting it's own tty, well that's ok but I only have so many tty's, these are full fledged tty's too, not pty's so I can't increase the number!!

My processes start competing for tty's and the server never gets going just bounces around restarting the children all day...

Why is this happening??

Why does it not open a pty for each of these??

Anybody else using conserver on solaris for a large console farm like this??

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Matott sXe
--------
Scott Matott sXe