Please ignore and delete the staff@conserver.com email

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:09:07 -0800 (PST)

Someone at lucent.com (apparently) has a virus and/or crafted an email
from staff@conserver.com and posted it to announce@conserver.com.
Either they planned it, or the virus got lucky and used my email address
as the envelope sender, which got through mailman.  For some bizarre
reason, I didn't think of the ability to forge local addresses from a
remote account...apparently simple sendmail configurations allow that.
Forging email isn't hard, and you can't help but accept most email, but
this is something that shouldn't happen in my environment.

I've locked down sendmail so that this shouldn't happen again.

Sorry for spreading this garbage to all your mailboxes, and please
don't open that thing on a windows box...if it isn't a virus, it's
probably some other bad/stupid thing.

Bryan