conserver-7.2.0-beta1 available

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:09:09 -0800 (PST)

In an effort to get more folks to test out some of the development
code, I've set up a beta site for distributing pre-release code.

    http://www.conserver.com/beta/

The code has a little testing under it's belt (at a couple of sites),
but it could use a whole lot more.  If anyone feels inclined to help
out by running the new code, that would be great.

So, what's the difference between 7.1.4 and 7.2.0-beta1?  Well, the
list is below, but the important aspect is that static arrays (strings,
internal structures, etc) are becoming dynamic.  For instance, strings
are no longer 'char str[BUFSIZ];' (or even better yet 'char
server[32];' - yikes).  Think there were checks everywhere for
over-running arrays?  Nahhhhh...'cause who would ever need a console
name greater than 31 characters?...(have I scared you into trying the
new code yet?).  And the best part, instead of building conserver with
a limited number of console "slots" (it's the old MAXMEMB x MAXGRP
limit), it can now grow as long as there's enough memory.  MAXMEMB
(--with-maxmemb) is still used to limit the number of consoles per
process.

I believe I have the server code modified to be fully dynamic.  The
client code still needs a *LOT* of work.  Hence the reason for bumping
the version to 7.2.0 - everything is getting touched to make this
happen (but it's a good thing, really!).

version 7.2.0-beta1 (Jan 29, 2002):
        - static structures and strings are now dynamic in server
        - MAXGRP (--with-maxgrp) has been removed as it's now dynamic
        - new -m server option for setting the maximum consoles per
          process - the default is still set with --with-maxmemb
        - new -i client option (and ^Eci) that displays console
          information in a machine-parseable format
        - two debug levels (second level by using two -D options)
        - ANSI prototypes and definitions (when available)

Bryan